What’s the Torin Ellis approach to tackling DEI?
In this episode:
This week on Untapped we sat down with the accomplished Torin Ellis and discussed his approach to tackling DEI, how this work should be focused on promise over punishment, and what the real ROI of DEI is.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- The real ways DEI has changed in 2021
- How you need to shift your relationship with power
- As new letters are being added to DEI, like DEIBJ, what are the implications?
- What is the Torin Ellis approach to DEI?
- What can leaders do when they are afraid and paralyzed by saying the wrong thing?
- What does promise over punishment mean? And why does Torin think it’s so important for people to understand this concept?
- What is going to happen to companies that want to leave politics out of the workplace?
Torin Ellis is a well-known diversity strategist, published author of Rip The Resume, and former Host of Career Mix (SiriusXM), and podcaster of Crazy and The King (iTunes & Spotify). As a tenured practitioner, he addresses talent development and recruitment through the leadership lens. Engagements range from surgically sourcing and securing high impact talent, curating conversations around bias/race and inclusion in the workplace, to setting strategy for internal recruiting teams.
Far too often people are looking for a cookie cutter approach. They're looking for a connect the dot type formula and I don't feel D&I works that way. It would be irresponsible of me to tell you that a best practice in this company is going to work in your organization, without me doing strategic exploration and finding out where you are.