Unfortunately, it’s not uncommon for talent teams to recruit candidates from the same 'legacy' schools—almost always predominantly white institutions (PWIs). This is an unfair and flawed process that has been ingrained in the recruiting world, allowing more people with access to gain opportunities, thus leaving historically underserved talent behind.
Fortunately, times are changing.
Nowadays, more and more companies are expanding their hiring efforts by partnering with Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) to find and source talent. In an age where a growing number of organizations are striving to create diverse workforces and expanding focus to hiring untapped talent, recruiting from Minority Serving Institutions is a great place to start.
MSIs are institutions of higher education that serve minority populations and are located across the US, both in urban neighborhoods and remote regions. MSIs strive to give their students social and educational skills to overcome racial discrimination and limited economic opportunities.
At Untapped, our mission is to make the world more equitable by broadening access to transformative careers. One way we can achieve this is by connecting recruiters with historically marginalized talent from MSIs. To help recruiters discover candidates from underrepresented backgrounds more quickly, we are very excited to announce our new MSI Filter feature within our product.
Untapped’s MSI Filters
Our new MSI filters within our sourcing platform will allow recruiters to select an aggregate group of schools classified as Minority Serving Institutions. This will enable talent teams to source untapped talent more intentionally. Additionally, this feature will help recruiters find untapped talent more efficiently. Historically, if a recruiter wants to search for candidates who attended MSIs, it would require incorporating lengthy Boolean search strings. Crafting effective commands can be a little tricky and time-consuming. MSI filters completely change this process.
Recruiters can now easily and deliberately access the profiles of over 3+ million candidates who have attended MSIs with this new feature. This enables you to prioritize diversity with our all-in-one recruiting platform.
MSIs included are:
- Alaska Native and Native Hawaiian-Serving Institutions (ANNH): An institution of higher education that has an enrollment of undergraduate students that is at least 10 percent Native Hawaiian students.
- Asian American and Pacific Islander-Serving Institutions (AANAPISI): An institution of higher education that has an enrollment of undergraduate students that is at least 10 percent Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander.
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU): Any historically black college or university that was established prior to 1964, whose principal mission was, and is, the education of black Americans, and that is accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency or association determined by the Secretary [of Education] to be a reliable authority as to the quality of training offered or is, according to such an agency or association, making reasonable progress toward accreditation.
- Hispanic-Serving Institutions (HSI): Has an enrollment of undergraduate full-time equivalent students that is at least 25 percent Hispanic students at the end of the award year immediately preceding the date of application.
- Native American-Serving Non-Tribal Institutions (NASNTI): A Native American Serving Non-Tribal Institution (NASNTI) is an institution of higher education that has an enrollment of undergraduates that is not less than 10 percent Native American students and is not a Tribal College or University. NASNTIs are not controlled by tribes, but rather a university that serves a percentage of American Indian and Alaska Native students.
- Predominantly Black Institutions (PBI): Serve at least 1,000 undergraduate students. Have at least 50% low-income or first-generation degree-seeking undergraduate enrollment. Have a low per full-time undergraduate student expenditure in comparison with other institutions offering similar instruction, and enroll at least 40% African-American students.
- Tribal Colleges and Universities (TCU): TCUs maintain, preserve, and restore Native languages and cultural traditions; offer a high-quality college education; provide career and technical education, job training, and other career-building programs; and often serve as anchors in some of the country’s poorest and most remote areas.
As with everything, practices and processes evolve over time. Hiring is no different. Utilizing our MSI filters empowers recruiters to make an important shift in the way they source talent and helps them unlock a more diverse talent pool. Companies will be able to make a more deliberate decision to hire talent from historically underrepresented communities and ultimately build a more diverse workforce.
Discover & Hire Untapped Talent Today
With over 35 million searchable profiles on our platform, you’ll be able to build an instant pool of candidates to create a more diverse top-of-funnel pipeline. In addition, you’ll be able to unlock the power of your talent pool by sorting and filtering through your applicants in minutes flat. By filtering off 75+ data points including demographic, experiential, and cognitive diversity, and now MSIs, you’ll be able to hit your diversity hiring goals efficiently and effectively.
Are you ready to learn how our all-in-one recruiting platform can help you effectively hire a representative workforce? Let’s get in touch.
Hundreds of company partners are using our platform to connect, source, and engage top underrepresented talent, and even more are already a part of our Communities.